St. Piran’s Church
If you enter the newer graveyard, you can find the grave of E.E.W. Ryall, the original author of this short history, towards the top end on the left hand side, near a tree and water tap. He is buried with his wife (my grandmother), Alma Mary Ryall.
“One might say that there have been four churches in Perran, all probably on the same site:
- A Norman Chapel of which only the tympanum remains.
- A medieval building of which the tower still remains. Some of it may have been part of the Norman work but it is more likely that a new edifice was erected complete with tower.
- Church 2 was adapted in 1842 by the addition of a new chancel but no written evidence remains to show what rebuilding was done. A ‘Charles letter’ and a coat of Arms were on its walls. Possibly the walls were patched up or even rebuilt. A tympanum was found under the floor.
- In 1882 the church as we know it today was constructed. The contemporary account in the West Briton of 1st May 1882 tells us that several portions of Norman work were found when the demolition took place. The walls were thin shells of stone filled with earth which latter contained human bones and teeth suggesting that the builders (either 1842 or before) used the floor of the previous building as filling. The tympanum was found under the floor of the south porch and under the north wall were discovered window jambs, portions of pillars and a piece of a Cornish cross. The roof was a wagon vault, richly carved, and had been covered with a layer of plaster. When the Royal Coat of Arms was removed from the wall it was discovered that the ‘Charles letter’ was on the reverse. Dampness had played havoc with the paint but a restoration was carried out by Rev. Malan. The present windows are new but the former east window was placed in the tower. This work cost £1800 and the new building was consecrated on 16th May 1882 (see West Briton 17th May 1882. During the rebuilding services were held in the Chapel at Greenwith.”