The fortified church of Mediaş castle was presumably built in the XIIth century, and the three strong protecting walls were probably ordered to be built-up by King Mátyás between 1490-1534. After the walls were finished the dwellers called this closed place, a castle. In 1736 the city's fortification system also contained four large gates, four small gates and 19 bastions. At the beginning of the XXth century much part of the walls and towers were demolished. Only ten towers remained and some sections of the wall. An arched gate led the way into the castle.
Between 1495-1498 it was known as a townee, its leaders decided to build three more stories to the Trumpet tower. With its 68.5 meters it would surpass the Viennese St. Stephen tower. But because the ground structure wasn't adequate, the tower inclined 2.28 meters from its vertical position. This inclined position won him the 12. place in the world leaning tower class list. At the same time the tower also got four ancillary towers, which meant that the city could decide on life and death questions.
1752 was the last time that the city made an execution, witches had been death-fired. To stop the tower's inclination, in the years 1927-1930 a 14 meter high armored belt reassured its position. At the same time Turrepitz's 300 year old wood-statue was replace, the old one was moved into the museum. In 1976-1977 the tower received anew 8 meter high armored belt.