Saskatchewan Archaeological Society
The Saskatchewan Archaeological Society (SAS), founded in 1963, is one of the most active and effective volunteer-based archaeological organizations on the continent. We educate the public, promote research and advocate for heritage preservation and protection. Our members include professional archaeologists, avocational archaeologists and members of the general public that are curious about our province's first peoples and other cultures.
What does the SAS do?
- Offers all ages fieldschools, hands-on workshops, annual meeting and conference, annual bus tour, special tours and regional chapters across the province.
- Offers teaching and educational resources such as artefact replicas, "archaeo-kits", "Kiwetinohk"
- travelling rock art exhibit, videos, an extensive library of books, journals, theses, maps and photos, a quaterly newsletter on archaeology, history, natural history, geology and palaeontology news and publications for sale.
- Provides funding to individuals or groups for research projects and the annual Zenon Pohorecky Memorial Bursary to university students.
How do I join?
Contact the SAS!
#1-1730 Quebec Avenue
Saskatoon, SK S7K 1V9
Ph: (306) 664-4124
Fax: (306) 665-1928
During 2013, the SAS is celebrating its 50th Anniversary of the Annual Gathering and are placing a number of geocaches at archaeological and historically significant sites throughout the province.
SAS #10: Fort Carlton
This geocache is located outside of Fort Carlton property!
There have been a number of fur trade posts in Saskatchewan named “Fort Carlton”. The first Fort Carlton was built near the site of an old French post called “Fort de la Corne” in 1795 after the destruction of South Branch House (see GC4HKCT for more information on South Branch House). However, it did not last long as it did not produce many furs and was closed in 1801.
The second “Fort Carlton” was located along the South Saskatchewan River as well upstream from South Branch House. Again, this post was abandoned rather quickly after its construction only lasting five years from 1805-1810.
At this location on the North Saskatchewan River, the third and final “Fort Carlton” was built in 1810. Originally called “Carlton House”, this post included a Northwest Company fort (Fort la Montee) inside the stockade wall. In 1816, the Northwest Company moved their fort three miles upstream and on the opposite bank.
Fort Carlton was a Hudson’s Bay Company post that operated on the North Saskatchewan River from 1810 until its destruction in 1885. In 1821, the Hudson’s Bay Company merged with its rivals, the North West Company, and whatever usable material that could be salvaged from the upstream fort was removed to Fort Carlton. By 1835, the fort was beginning to deteriorate and a new fort was constructed to the west. From 1855-1858, another fort was built to the east of the 1810 fort. It was during this period that the fort also served as an exchange point for winter mail between northern Saskatchewan and Athabasca and the Red River area south of Winnipeg. During the 1880s, the North West Mountain Police leased the fort from the Hudson’s Bay Company and used it as a main depot for this area. It was abandoned and accidently burnt down by the NWMP after the Battle of Duck Lake in 1885. Its last occupation was by Gabrial Dumont and his Métis in 1885 before they withdrew to Batoche. The Cree leader, Big Bear (Mistahimaskwa) , also used Fort Carlton as the initial site for Treaty 6 negotiations in 1884 and later surrendered there in 1885.
It was rebuilt by Saskatchewan Parks in 1967 to commemorate the Canadian Centenary and also became a National Historic Site of Canada in that same year. Today, you can visit it to see the reconstructed buildings and learn more about the Riel Rebellion and the fur trade in the Saskatchewan Valley region.
**Trails of 1885 and Fort Carlton have their own on-site geocaching program. Stop by the interpretive centre to learn more!
Russell, Ralph C.
1971 The Carlton Trail. Prairie Books Service: Saskatoon, SK.
1998 Saskatchewan History Along the Highway: A Traveler’s Guide to the Fascinating Facts, Intriguing Incidents and Lively Legends in Saskatchewan’s Past. Red Deer College Press: Red Deer, AB.