This is a popular spot for dog walkers, urban ramblers and a great place to let mini-geocachers run around and play all year round. Mini-tigerlatics pretend the Gruffalo lives in the 'deep, dark woods' but we haven't seen him yet! In autumn there are conkers to be found and is a great place to play hide and seek. Bring a frisbee or a ball to play with in the open 'lawn' area. Parking is allowed in the nearby Anlaby House Estate (now apartments) just don't park in the reserved parking zones. Otherwise, parking is possible in the adjacent Voases Lane. We are particularly happy that the area around the site was recently considered as an area for development of new housing but local activism has saved the area for now. Happy geocaching!
Anlaby House was originally built in 1790 for Hull merchant John Boyes and sold shortly afterwards to William Voase in 1818. He left it to his niece Fanny, who had married Thomas Ringrose, on condition they adopted the surname Voase. Fanny was still living there in 1892. William Ringrose-Voase lived in the house at around the turn of the century and continued to do so until 1912. He was a J.P. for the East Riding and died in 1913, leaving a son John Reginald. The Voase family continued to occupy the estate until 1936, when it became council premises on the formation of Haltemprice Urban District Council.
During the Second World War the house was used as a store and depot for air raid precautions. From 1974 to 1999 it was the offices of the Chief Executive of Beverley Borough Council. East Riding of Yorkshire Council then sold the property in 1999 as surplus to requirements. After standing empty for five years it was converted into luxury apartments.