We have Motorway Mayhem. We have A-Road Anarchy (cos there aren’t many Motorways in Wales!). But what about public transport users? SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick Cache-and-dashes at Train Stations.
SideTracked started at Evesham station on August 10th 2007, placed by schnarff & bikermel76. It took a while to get started, but is now spreading across the country! It is hoped this idea will spread across the country in the same way as the MMs….but if hiding one PLEASE BE SENSIBLE and remember that in this day and age, public transport is under greater scrutiny than ever before, so, although these caches should be quick and easy grabs, PLEASE don’t place a Cache where it could cause alarm!!! (Particularly, please ensure that you aware of the new rules of 04/09/08 before hiding your Cache!)
The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway was one of the few narrow gauge branch lines to be built under the provisions of the 1896 Light Railways Act, and opened for operations on 4 April 1903 to aid economic development in a remote area. Originally operated by the Cambrian Railways, it started from a simple set of sidings located alongside the standard gauge line at Welshpool railway station, and traversed the town by means of a twisting section of track which required continual use of the train's bell and whistle.
After nationalisation to the Great Western Railway in the 1923 grouping, on 9 February 1931 the line lost its passenger service, and became a freight-only line. It was temporarily re-opened to passengers between 6 and 11 August 1945 for the Eisteddfod. Freight traffic lingered on until 1956, by which time British Railways decided to close the line.
A group of volunteers and enthusiasts took the line over and started raising money to restore it. On 6 April 1963 the first section of the line was re-opened as a tourist railway. The line through Welshpool however could not be reopened, and so Raven Square was developed on the western edge of the town, opening on 18 July 1981. The new station building was obtained from Eardisley in Herefordshire and is a historic example of a type once prepared from a wooden kit, similar to many built on rural lines. Also, a water tower built over 100 years ago was obtained from Pwllheli station.
The Raven Square station is situated by the roundabout that is the junction of the A458, A490 and B4381 roads. It is on the western edge of Welshpool, one mile (1.6 km) from the Cambrian Line station, which is located in the eastern side of the town. Powis Castle and its substantial grounds, lie not far to the south of the station, though not directly accessible from this point. Raven Square also hosts the Raven Inn, a family traditional pub which also takes its name from Raven Square.