The Fortin du Petit-Sault in Edmundston
If you found small fortified trading posts in the south and in the north-east of the province in the 17th century, it was not until the 19th century that the Madawaska knew this type of construction. Indeed, at the time, the area was mainly occupied by the Maliseet Indians (Wolastoqiyik). It was mainly used as a place of passage and portage between the French settlements in Acadia and those of the St. Lawrence.
The first walled building would be the one of the Fortin du Petit-Sault . "Little Falls" was originally the name of a rocky escarpment on the course of the Madawaska River, which served to differentiate it from the drop of almost 25 meters, the " Grand Falls ", located 65 km away . From 1820, the village near the small waterfall was also the name of Little Falls. It was not until 1850 that Little Falls is Edmundston , in honor of Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick at the time, Sir Edmund Walker Head. At the time, Edmundston was always called Little Falls. The border between Maine and New Brunswick was a source of conflict. The Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 would definitely draw the official border, but the conflict would last a few years.
In 1841, a fort was built at Little Falls, to protect the territory, but also to ensure the communication line between Quebec City and Fredericton. The fort was located at a height of 150 feet (45 m) and dominated the valleys of the St. John River and the Madawaska River. Occupying a strategic position and of solid construction, the fort has a foundation of stone of three feet (90 cm) thick, which rose on two floors, made of pine pieces 15 inches (40 cm) square. Nevertheless, the fort was damaged by lightning in 1855 and finally demolished in 1868.
La première construction fortifiée serait donc celle du Fortin du Petit-Sault. « Petit-Sault » était d'abord le nom d'un escarpement rocheux sur le cours de la rivière Madawaska et qui servait à le différencier de la chute de près de 25 mètres, le « Grand-Sault », située 65 kilomètres plus loin. À partir de 1820, le village situé près de la petite chute prend aussi le nom de Petit-Sault. Ce n'est qu'en 1850 que Petit-Sault devient Edmundston, en l'honneur du lieutenant-gouverneur du Nouveau-Brunswick de l'époque, Sir Edmund Walker Head. À l'époque où Edmundston s'appelait toujours Petit-Sault, la frontière entre le Maine et le Nouveau-Brunswick était source de conflits. Le traité de Webster-Ashburton de 1842 va tracer définitivement la frontière officielle, mais les conflits vont durer encore quelques années.
En 1841, un fort est érigé à Petit-Sault, en vue de protéger le territoire, mais aussi d'assurer la ligne de communication entre Québec et Fredericton. Le fort était situé à une hauteur de 150 pieds (45 m) et dominait les vallées de la rivière Saint-Jean et de la rivière Madawaska. Occupant une position stratégique et de construction solide, le fortin avait une fondation de pierre de trois pieds (90 cm) d'épaisseur sur laquelle reposaient deux étages, faits de pièces de pin de 15 pouces (40 cm) de côté. Malgré tout, le fortin est endommagé par la foudre en 1855 et finalement démoli en 1868.
You're looking for a bison, that was part of the swag bag that attendees of the Maritime Mega received. The fort is built on top of a hill, please watch your children, especially around GZ. Careful around the precipice.
May or may not be winter friendly.
Feel free to post pictures.

This Cache was hidden by a member of the MGA