Skip to content

" Who is...Ben Jeroop.?" Traditional Cache

Hidden : 9/13/2013
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

A small eclipse container containing, a logbook, pencil and several small swaps. BYO PEN.


Benjeroop is a small settlement on the Loddon River, 47 km south-east of Swan Hill and 15km west of Murrabit that was inundated with floodwaters for months during the 2011 floods.

In January 2011 a huge inland sea found its way to Benjeroop. As it sits right where the Loddon,Murray and Little Murray Rivers converge as well as the Pyramid and Barr Creeks. 25 houses were inundated and many more farms remained underwater for months, leaving farmers unable to farm there land. The community came together in an amazing way and the Benjeroop Hall, with its treasure trove of district history was only saved by the efforts of the locals, one who camped day and night at the hall to make sure the sandbags held and the pumps kept on pumping.

On Monday March 21, 2011 Prince William visited Benjeroop to offer his support and joined the footy tipping competition.

Land was reserved in June 1888 for a Benjeroop Public Hall, but the original hall was not built until 1912, with the current hall being erected in 1958.

The "Benjeroop Belle" is a single cylinder Ruston Proctor portable 10hp steam engine which was used to drive a 12" pump for irrigation purposes on the Loddon River at Benjeroop in the early 1880's. This steam engine was originally owned and operated by Robert McKenzie and was imported from England. The last owner was Alan Littlejohn who donated it to the Benjeroop community in 2003. It is on display near the hall.

The recently restored Hornsby suction gas engine is also on display. This massive engine was located on Cobramunga Station on the NSW side of the Murray River at Benjeroop. It was the largest privately owned pump on the Murray River and was donated to the community by Grant McDonald. The engine arrived in Australia in 1912 and was sold to Captain Keats. It was commenced to be restored about 6 years ago, but the project was delayed when the district was flooded in January 2011, but has now been completely restored.

This display is open on the first Saturday of the month.

 

Additional Hints (No hints available.)