This is the first intercache to use the new release which supports items/inventory and other logic that wasn't in the old version. Consider it a beta in case you have a problem!
Two of my favorite caches were located nearby and were Wizard of Oz themed:
I decided to bring back another Oz themed cache to the area, this time it's an intercache.
Please read before you head out!
What's an intercache?
An InterCache is an interactive geocache. An intercache is a new way of creating a mystery geocache, similar to a wherigo geocache. The biggest difference is that the entire geocache can be developed, edited, and played on your mobile phone's browser with no software required to download!
How do you play?
First, make sure you have a compatible device. Go to intercaching.com on your cell phone and select the test button. I recommend doing this outside for best results. You should see your current coordinates as well as the estimated accuracy. If you see something reasonable, you'll all set! If you get an error, you may need to enable the GPS and other geolocation settings on your phone. You may also not have a compatible phone.
If your device is compatible, then head on over to the Return to Oz intercache page and start. At each of the stages you will be given coordinates, though you shouldn't actually need them. There is a compass that has an arrow pointing you the right direction as you move. You may have to walk a little bit before the arrow points in the right direction as this application doesn't have access to your phone's digital compass if it has one.
Some of the stages will give you choices on which location to go to next. You can always change your mind by selecting a new location from the options menu.
- This is a new way of looking for a geocache. It hasn't been tested on every phone with every OS, but seems to work fine with iOS and Android devices. Let me know if you have problems.
- It's safe to let your screen timeout while walking. When the screen times out, your GPS *should* go off and not waste battery. When you turn your phone screen back on, it might take a few seconds for the app to get your coordinates again.
Making your own intercache
If you're interested in making your own, go to www.intercaching.com and create an account. It's as easy as walking around, pressing a few buttons, and publishing!
New Features used in this intercache
- Items - you have to pick up some items in the game in order to make locations navigable
- Constraints - in some cases you have to visit a couple different locations before you are allowed to move ahead. It should be obvious what to do in the write up.
- The user interface has been revamped, hopefully there aren't any issues with this first cache using it!