REALLY SideTracked - Waddesdon Manor
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This rather plain looking gateway was once the entrance to Waddesdon Manor Railway Station. Built especially for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, it was opened in 1897. With the incorporation of this line into the national network, the Baron and his guests had ready access to the whole country. Arrangements were in place that allowed them to halt "through" trains at this station, effectively making this the Baron's private railway station.
Later the station changed name to drop any allusion to the Manor and became Waddesdon Railway Station. Scheduled trains would stop here for use by villagers. However at such a great distance from the heart of the village (about two miles across footpaths) the station in time became uneconomical, and it was closed in 1936.
The northbound platform remains to this day and can just be seen among the weeds from the road bridge.
Interesting fact: this station differed from all the others on this line in that the station buildings were on the "down side" of the track. On all other stations along this line the station buildings were on the opposite side of the track.
You are looking for a small cliplock box. It is not on railway property and there is no reason to go there. As a letterbox hybrid this cache contains an ink stamp: this is not a swap and please do not remove it from the cache.