REALLY SideTracked - Very Overgrown CLC Traditional Geocache
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The cache is located near a railway bridge which overlooks the now closed and very, very overgrown Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC) single track railway between West Cheshire Junction and Mouldsworth. You are looking for a camouflaged tube. Please replace the cache as found. There is a small pull in near the bridge to park for a quick drive by.
In 1861, the WCR requested powers to construct a line from Northwich to Chester, with a branch to Helsby, but parliamentary approval was received only for a line via Mouldsworth to Helsby. Following receipt of its statutory powers, the WCR commenced construction of its main 14.6 mile (23 km) line running west from the existing Cheshire Midland Railway at Northwich to join the Birkenhead Railway at Helsby Junction. On 15 August 1867, the WCR became a constituent of the Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC). Construction continued and the line from Northwich to Helsby opened for goods traffic on 1 September 1869 and for passenger trains on 22 June 1870. The public passenger service from Northwich to Helsby lasted only until 1 May 1875, but workmen's trains continued until 1944. From 1 May 1875, passenger trains from Northwich were re-routed south from Mouldsworth to operate along the newly opened line to Chester Northgate instead. The WCR's main line left Northwich in a southwesterly direction and crossed the River Dane and the River Weaver by means of a half-mile long viaduct with forty-eight stone arches and two wrought-iron girder bridges. The first station out of Northwich was Hartford and Greenbank, renamed Greenbank on 7 May 1973. Further stations were located at Cuddington, Delamere, Mouldsworth, and Manley before the line's terminus at Helsby and Alvanley station.