We have Motorway Mayhem and we have A-Road Anarchy. Now a series for public transport users!
SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick cache-and-dashes at train stations.
For more information on SideTracked Caches, please visit SideTracked
Due largely to opposition from the town's merchants, and the fear expressed by the then Mayor that Maidstone will be ruined as a commercial town, the town was bypassed when the South Eastern Main Line opened by the South Eastern Railway (SER) in 1842. The line ran approximately eight miles to the south, with the nearest station being at Maidstone Road (later renamed Paddock Wood). On 25 September 1844, a branch line was opened from Paddock Wood to Maidstone West. This was extended further up the Medway Valley to the North Kent Line at Strood on 18 June 1856. The main station building is believed to date from this time.
Maidstone West has a signal box — located at the southern end of the station,on 3 August 1944, the signal box was severely damaged when a doodlebug landed nearby. Seven people were killed, as well as two dray horses belonging to Maidstone brewers Fremlins. The signalbox was repaired and returned to service.
Just south of Maidstone West was a station at Tovil, Passenger services ceased on 15 March 1943. A short line ran on a bridge across the River Medway to a goods station at Tovil Goods until 3 October 1977, from which point the branch line closed completely.
You are looking for a magnetic nano
There is no need to enter the station to find this cache!