Teynham station was opened on 25th January 1858 when the section of the East Kent Railway between Chatham and Faversham was opened.
At first direct trains to London were not an option. Travellers had to change at Chatham, where a horse and cart service took them to Strood, where trains were then operated to London. Trains direct to London commenced on 3rd December 1860.
The original two-storey brick built station was demolished in the 1970s and replaced by a prefab building.
A manually operated crossing to allow access to Railway Cottages to the north of the line, near where the cache is hidden, was finally replaced with automatic gates during an upgrade of signalling in December 2011.
The Duke of York, who was laterly crowned King George VI visited Teynham station in 1922.