Skip to content

VS #59 - Harlton Multi-cache

This cache has been archived.

ryo62: Time to go. container removed

Hidden : 12/20/2013
2 out of 5
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Village signs is a series of caches based on the ornate signs that depict the heritage, history and culture of the villages that put them up (normally on the village green!).

A 30ml tube.

Go to the published coordinates. Admire the sign and look at the plaque on it.

The maypole at mares way was dismantled in ABCD

Go to N 52° 09.(A+A+A)AC E 000° 01.(C-A-A)DA

The parish of Harlton covers an area of 1,261 acres (510 ha). Its southern border is marked by the ancient track Mare Way, which runs along a raised ridge dividing it from Barrington (plus a short border with Orwell). The Bourn Brook forms its northern boundary with Comberton, and its western border with Little Eversden mostly follows the Roman Road (now the A603). Field boundaries and old water channels divide it from Haslingfield to the east. There is a very short border with Barton at its north-eastern tip.

The village was an important source of mining for many centuries. The pits to the south east of the village were used to mine the clunch that was used to build Cambridge Castle in 1295. The quarry was last used for building material in 1906 and it is now a heavily wooded recreation area. The clay quarry to the south-west of the village was known as the Lady Quarry from the 15th century but is now filled in. Gravel was mined alongside the Bourn Brook from at least the 15th century, and coprolite digging provided employment for the second half of the 19th century.

The village had one of the smallest populations in the Wetherley hundred in medieval times, with 20 residents listed in 1086, and 74 in 1676. The census of 1801 listed 156 residents and the coprolite employment caused an increase to a peak of 335 in 1871. It fell to 201 by 1931 and has risen slowly since.

The cache is only a few minutes walk from the village sign. Please do not go climbing all over the sign!

If anybody would like to expand this series please do. I would just ask that you let SmokeyPugs know first so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

onfr bs jbbqra srapr

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)