Skip to content

<

Doué - Collégiale Saint Denis

A cache by Les GeoSurDoué et OT Doué Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 04/13/2014
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

La Collégiale Saint Denis


Image Collégiale



Attention, une ciste (autre jeu) a pris place en 2019 sur le panneau Ecole à quelques mètres.
Ne vous loguez pas dessus à la place de la geocache ! Si vous ne trouvez pas la cache, loguez "Pas trouvé (DNF)". Merci.

Beware, a cist (other game) is located on the sign "Ecole" a few meters away.
Please don't log it instead of the geocache! If you don't find the cache, log a DNF. Thank you.


Drapeau français

La Collégiale Saint Denis fût érigée au XIème siècle. Elle était alors perçue comme un symbole de civilisation et de paix. Si elle n’a pas l’ampleur des Abbayes telles que Fontevrault ou encore d’Asnières, la Collégiale témoigne du savoir faire de son maître d’œuvre.

On attribue la fondation de l’Eglise Saint Denis à Dagobert, d’après un écrit signé par le Chancelier du roi en 636.

Elle fut dédiée en 1040 par l’évêque Hubert. En 1063 y fut établi un chapitre de quatre chanoines (puis de six chanoines) pour la desservir.

En 1791, un décret du 12 juillet créa à Saint Denis une cure, réunissant les paroisses de La Chapelle et de Soulanger. Les Paroissiens protestèrent devant les frais qu’il fallait envisager pour rendre possible le culte dans une église délabrée.

Un décret du 30 mai 1806 supprima la paroisse de Saint Denis et l’église fut attribuée à la fabrique de Saint Pierre avec autorisation de l’aliéner et de la désaffecter pour le culte.

La fabrique de Saint Pierre qui, depuis toujours entretenait avec Saint Denis une rivalité sérieuse, décida de démolir l’église, de vendre les matériaux, et morceler et aliéner toutes dépendances en particulier les logements et les jardins des chanoines. En 1811, le massacre de l’édifice commença. Une partie des pierres servit à la restauration du collège, d’autre à la construction des maisons voisines.

L’ancienne et vénérable collégiale Saint Denis, transformée en carrière de pierres allait rapidement disparaître, quand la municipalité de Doué, émue par la destruction d’une curiosité locale en fit l’acquisition et fit classer l’édifice Monument Historique.


Collégiale


UK Flag

The Collegiate Church of St. Denis was built in the 11th century. It was seen as a symbol of civilization and peace. If it does not scale abbeys such as Fontevrauld or Asnieres, the collegiate church reflects the expertise of the contractor.

The founding of the Church of Saint Denis is attributed to Dagobert, after a writing signed by the Chancellor of the King 636.

It was dedicated in 1040 by bishop Hubert. In 1063 there was established a chapter of four canons (then six canons) to serve it.

In 1791, a decree of 12th July created a vicarage in Saint Denis, bringing the parishes of La Chapelle and Soulanger. The parishioners protested to the need to consider the costs to make possible the worship in a dilapidated church.

A decree of 30th May 1806 removed the parish of Saint Denis and the church was attributed to Saint Pierre factory [group of people responsible for collecting funds and look after religious buildings] with authorization to alienate and decommission it for worship.

The factory of Saint Pierre, who has always had with Saint Denis a serious rivalry, decided to demolish the church, to sell materials, and to break up and alienate all dependencies, in particular canon housing and gardens. In 1811, the massacre of the edifice began. Some of the stones were used in the restoration of the college, others in the construction of the neighboring houses.

The ancient and venerable collegiate church of Saint Denis, transformed into a stone quarry would quickly disappear when the municipality of Doué, moved by the destruction of a local curiosity acquired it and made classify the edifice as a historic monument.


Avec l'aimable participation de l'office de tourisme de Doué-la-Fontaine et sa région.
With the kind participation of the tourist office of Doué-la-Fontaine and its region.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Cbegnvy ebhvyyé, pôgé tnhpur / Ehfgrq tngr, yrsg fvqr

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)