The location is quite quiet during the week, even at lunch times, but expect it to be busy with rowers and other boaters on some evenings and weekends, and especially when the Saints are playing at home!
The mediaeval Cross House is a grade II listed building. Probably originally the base of the old boundary cross at Itchenworth.
From the C16 at least it was used as a circular stone shelter with seats for those waiting to be ferried across the Itchen. It is mentioned as a weather house in 1577. In 1634 it was repaired and is dated 1634 with the initials of Peter Clungeon, the Mayor of the time. Stone rubble walls with ashlar quoins to a height of about 5 ft in the shape of a cross.
The original ferry was later replaced by the "Floating Bridge", the slipways for which are still visible on both sides of the river, and then in the last century the new Toll Bridge which towers over the cache location.