[EN] Piazza San Marco is the principal public square of Venice, Italy, where it is generally known just as "the Piazza" (la Piazza). All other urban spaces in the city (except the Piazzetta and the Piazzale Roma) are called "campi" (fields). The Piazzetta (the 'little Piazza') is an extension of the Piazza towards the lagoon in its south east corner (see plan). The two spaces together form the social, religious and political centre of Venice and are commonly considered together. This article relates to both of them. The Piazza is dominated at its eastern end by the great church of St Mark. It is described here by a perambulation starting from the west front of the church (facing the length of the Piazza) and proceeding to the right. Beyond that is the Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio), completed in 1499, above a high archway where the street known as the Merceria (a main thoroughfare of the city) leads through shopping streets to the Rialto, the commercial and financial center. To the right of the clock-tower is the closed church of San Basso, designed by Baldassare Longhena (1675), sometimes open for exhibitions. To the left is the long arcade along the north side of the Piazza, the buildings on this side are known as the Procuratie Vecchie, the old procuracies, formerly the homes and offices of the Procurators of St. Mark, high officers of state in the days of the republic of Venice. They were built in the early 16th century. The arcade is lined with shops and restaurants at ground level, with offices above. The restaurants include the famous Caffe Quadri, which was patronized by the Austrians when Venice was ruled by Austria in the 19th century, while the Venetians preferred Florian's on the other side of the Piazza. Opposite to this, standing free in the Piazza, is the Campanile of St Mark's church (1156/73 last restored in 1514), rebuilt in 1912 ' com'era, dov'era ' (as it was, where it was) after the collapse of the former campanile on 14 July 1902. Adjacent to the Campanile, facing towards the church, is the elegant small building known as the Loggetta, built by Sansovino in 1537-46, and used as a lobby by patricians waiting to go into a meeting of the Great Council in the Doges Palace and by guards when the Great Council was sitting.
[IT] Piazza San Marco, situata a Venezia, è una delle più importanti piazze italiane, rinomata in tutto il mondo per la sua bellezza e integrità architettonica. È l'unico spazio urbano di Venezia che assume il nome di piazza, in quanto tutti gli altri spazi in forma di piazza sono propriamente definiti campi. Ha forma trapezoidale ed è lunga 170 metri. Cuore della città lagunare e luogo simbolo della Repubblica di Venezia, la zona monumentale di Piazza San Marco si compone di tre settori: • la Piazza propriamente detta, cioè la zona racchiusa fra le Procuratie Vecchie e Nuove e quelle "nuovissime " , con uno sviluppo architettonico di rara suggestione sul complesso monumentale della omonima basilica e l'appena prospiciente, svettante, campanile di San Marco. • la Piazzetta o Piazzetta San Marco, propaggine meridionale antistante il Palazzo Ducale e la Libreria, accesso monumentale all'area marciana per chi proviene dal mare attraverso le due famose colonne fronteggianti il Bacino San Marco, sul quale si affaccia il molo di Palazzo Ducale, l'unica riva di Venezia che porti il nome di molo. • la Piazzetta dei Leoncini, propaggine occidentale a lato della basilica e prospiciente il Palazzo Patriarcale, così chiamata per le due statue di leoni accovacciati delimitanti l'area centrale sopraelevata.
[ES] La Plaza de San Marcos es la única plaza de Venecia, y su principal destino turístico, abundante en fotógrafos, turistas y palomas. La Plaza está dominada por la Basílica, el Palacio Ducal y el Campanario de la basílica, que se erige a un lado de ella. Los edificios alrededor de la plaza son, en sentido inverso al movimiento del reloj desde el Gran Canal, el Palacio Ducal, la Basílica de San Marcos, la Torre del Reloj de San Marcos, la Procuradoría Antigua, el Ala Napoleónica, la Procuradoría Nueva, el Campanario de San Marcos, Logetta y la Biblioteca Marciana. Gran parte la planta baja de las Procuradorías está ocupada por cafeterías, incluyendo el Caffè Florian y el Gran Caffè Quadri. El Museo Correr y el Museo de Arqueología están ubicados en algunos edificios de la plaza. La Casa de Moneda yace tras la Biblioteca Marciana en la riva (orilla o banco) del Gran Canal. Éstas últimas construcciones fueron completadas durante la ocupación napoleónica, aunque el Campanario ha sido reconstruido.