This mathematical series of puzzle caches has questions from all levels of school education, from Key Stage 1 (age 5-7) in the first few caches, all the way up to Further Maths A-Level in the last few caches. Everybody should be able to get the solutions to the first few caches, but how far through the series will you be able to get? For a full description of the series, please see the first cache “1+1=1”. If you can’t solve a particular set of questions, try asking somebody of the appropriate age, or your friendly neighbourhood Maths teacher!
Please note that many of the caches are hidden near busy roads, so please take care when finding them, especially if you have children with you. It is worth noting that there is parking possible within a few hundred metres of all caches and a quick look on a satellite view map should show suitable places.
This cache contains questions from Key Stage 2, suitable for ages 7 - 11, school years 3 - 6.
1. Paul has £2.50 to spend. He buys a sandwich for £1.60 and a bar of chocolate for 50p. How much money has he got left? A= the sum of the digits in your answer.
2. Calculate 336-192. b= the sum of the digits in your answer. (Try to do it without a calculator!)
3. A banana costs 10p more than an apple. Abi bought two bananas and two apples and the total price was £1. What is the cost of a banana? C= the sum of the digits in your answer.
4. A bus is due to arrive at 10am. Rachel arrives at the bus stop at 9:25am. How many minutes will she wait for, assuming that the bus arrives on time? D=the sum of the digits in your answer.
5. If packs of stickers cost 40p each, how many packs can you buy if you have £3? E=the number of packs.
The cache can be found at N50 44.PQR E0 12.STU where P=D, Q=B, R=E+2, S=C, T=A+C, U=A-C
You can check your answers for this puzzle on GeoChecker.com.