The South County Trailway is a paved bicycle/pedestrian path located primarily on right-of-way lands of the former Putnam Division of the New York Central Railroad. The "Old Put," as it was fondly referred to by commuters, provided freight and passenger service from 1881 to 1958 between the Bronx in New York City and Brewster in Putnam County. Freight service continued to operate sporadically on lower portions (Elmsford and south) of the line, but retracted southward until it was eventually discontinued. The last lower Put freight train made its final run in August 1982. In 1993, Westchester County acquired the former railroad line from Eastview to the New York City line. The Putnam Railroad once served 23 stations in Westchester, some of which still stand today. The former Elmsford station (pictured at right) is the only remaining station structure along the South County Trailway. It now houses a restaurant. Historic markers describing local history have been placed at most of the former station locations. Larger scale maps of the trailway (including alignment, access points, local roads, and nearby parks and facilities) can be accessed by clicking either of the map thumbnails above. The Putnam Right-of-way spans 36.2 linear miles through Westchester County, of which 14.1 miles comprise the South County Trailway, from Eastview south to the New York City border. The remaining 22.1 miles, north of Eastview to the Putnam County border, are nearly all developed as the North County Trailway.