The station was opened as "Weston Milton Halt" on 3 July 1933 to serve the expansion of the Milton area to the east of the town centre. The name "halt" indicated that it was an unstaffed station but with platforms of sufficient length to accommodate full-sized trains. Access to the two platforms, which were built of pre-cast concrete sections, was from the Locking Moor Road at the east end of the station.
When the line was singled between Worle Junction and Weston-super-Mare on 31 January 1972 it was the northern or "up" line that was retained. After a while the line was relaid in the centre of the formation. To do this the new track was initially laid on the abandoned down formation and trains called for a short while at the old down platform while the up line was lifted and the up platform moved to be partly in its place. The new line was then slewed over to run alongside the platform after which the down platform was dismantled.
In 1983 £30,000 was spent to provide a new waiting shelter and refurbish the car park. The entrance was moved from the bridge to be nearer the middle if the platform. With the opening of Worle railway station on 24 September 1990 a number of commuters changed to using that station, but improved daytime services and the new Locking Castle housing development have mitigated this loss of passengers.