Skip to Content

<

Kinnitty Castle

A cache by snapsterz Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 04/21/2014
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Micro Cache placed at roadside with fantastic view of Kinnitty Castle. BYOP


The earliest evidence of human habitation in Ireland is 6500 BC at Lough Boora, County Offaly just 15 minutes drive from Kinnitty Castle. These early nomadic men would have hunted and gathered on the edge of the then lakes which have now turned to peat bogs and would also have lived for times in the Slieve Bloom Mountain range which commands expansive views of the country.

Renowned for being the birthplace and early home of legendary Finn MaCool along with being the spawning ground of the Salmon of Knowledge which brought him the wisdom of the world, the Slieve Blooms rolling hills inspire.

The Castle has a long and colourful history which dates back to ancient times. Located on an ancient druidic ceremonial ground, where leylines cross and mystical forces are prevalent, the area around Kinnitty can be considered to be the solar plexis chakra of Ireland.

Born in Munster in the 6th century, Saint Finnian was a disciple of Saint Brendan, at whose wish he founded and governed a monastery at Kinnitty (Cean-e-thich) in Offaly of which he is the patron (Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth). This monastery was part of an extensive monastic network across Offaly including Clonmacnoise, Durrow & Rahan, which were among the main ‘learning centres’ of Europe in their day. Subsequent raids by the Vikings led to their decline. The High Cross associated with St. Finnian’s monastery which is now located directly beside the castle, depicts ‘the presentation in the temple’, ‘the crucifixion’, ‘Adam and Eve’ and intertwining birds.

The Normans later built a castle and Augustinian Abbey on the site, the walls of which were incorporated into the Castle and can still be seen to this day.

The Clans of the O’Carrolls of Ely occupied the territory around Kinnitty and are reputed to have had over 40 castles around the 11th century, one of which was located on the motte which is found just behind the current castle. The Castle is one of the strongholds of the O’Carroll family of which one Charles Óg O’Carroll was one of the original signatories of the American Declaration of Independance. The descended family still maintain vast estates in Maryland.

In 1630 William O’Carroll built a new Castle in close proximity to the Abbey. This was confiscated in 1641 by the English forces as part of the plantation of Offaly or “Kings County” as the county was then known. In 1664 the crown granted an estate, which included Kinnitty Castle, to Colonel Thomas Winter as reward for military service.

Other castles associated with the O’Carrolls of Ely include Leap Castle, owned by Sean Ryan & Emmell Castle in Cloughjordan, owned by Hollywood actor Patrick Bergin, both of whom can be sometimes found in the Dungeon Bar playing with Con of Kinnitty.

The estate was sold by Colonel Winter’s descendants to the Bernard family in 1764. It then became known as Castle Bernard. In 1811 Lady Catherine Hutchinson, wife of Thomas Bernard, commissioned the famous Pain Brothers, architects of Dromoland Castle and Adare Manor, to extend the castle to what Kinnitty Castle is today, a gem of neo gothic architecture.

In the mid 1890’s Montgomery Hitchcock and family lived in Kinnitty. Little was it known at the time that his son Rex Ingram would go to Hollywood to become a noted director of spectacular silent movies.

In 1922, as with many stately homes in Ireland, the Castle was burned down by the Republican forces. The Castle was rebuilt in 1928 and the Bernard family lived there until 1946 when it was sold to Lord Decies who in turn sold the Castle to The State in 1951. The State retained ownership until it was purchased by the Ryan family in 1994 and has since been transformed into a luxurious 37 bedroom hotel.

The founder of the family was Fiacha Baiceada, son of Cathire More, King of Ireland, A.D.144. The ancient name of the family was Maobreann, signifying “Country Boy”. The Chiefs of the Clan were styled Lords of Idrone and Owney, and their possessions were located in the present County of Carlow and throughout Leinster. This territory of the Ryans was subjected to the intrusion of the Anglo-Normans almost from the landing of the latter in Ireland in 1172.

Today, Kinnitty Castle is enjoyed by visitors from all over the world. It boasts a gourmet restaurant, decorated in Georgian style, a library bar which houses a unique collection of antique books and journals, and an exquisite Louis XV Style Drawing Room.

Tastefully refurbished and in keeping with its old world style, Kinnitty Castle incorporates 37 ensuite bedrooms retaining their original dimensions in keeping with the period of the Castle. Excellent cuisine, fine wines, open turf fires and candlelight, create a very warm welcome and friendly atmosphere that is special to Kinnitty Castle. Wildlife is abundant and undisturbed. Leisure facilities include fishing, clay pigeon shooting and a fully equipped health spa and leisure centre. Equestrian holidays are a speciality providing numerous equestrian activities including tuition, trailing and trekking. The old Estate encompasses 10,000 acres which are directly accessible from the Castle where guests can wander through unspoilt woodland on horseback and lose themselves in the peace and tranquillity of their surroundings.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Qvq lbh FVTA sbe gur CBFG??

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

105 Logged Visits

Found it 97     Didn't find it 7     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 29 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.