Dunham Hill station was originally known as Dunham and it opened as part of the Birkenhead Joint railway's Chester to Warrington line on 18/12/1850. The station was renamed as Dunham Hill in April 1861.
The main station building was on the down side with a waiting shelter on the up side. There was a small goods yard also on the down side accessed thorough the station forecourt. There were three sidings two serving a cattle dock at the south end of the platform. The third siding running diagonally across the yard was probably for coal. A 3-ton capacity crane stood alongside this siding. A signal box stood on the up side opposite the entrance to the yard.
Being in quite a sparsely populated area the station was an early closure on 7 May 1952. Interestingly a number of other 'country' stations closed on this otherwise extremely busy line in the early 1950's. Goods traffic survived for a further 4 years being withdrawn on 7 May 1956.
Today no trace of the station remains but the line is still a busy route between North Wales and Manchester. The station buildings had been demolished by the early 1960s although the platforms lingered in a very degraded state into the 1980s.