Related Web Page
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
The Williamson Valley Road Series is a Friends of Morgan Ranch Nature Park history project. Even numbered caches are on the E side of the Rd & odd on the W for 44 mi. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU WORK 1 SIDE OF THE ROAD AT A TIME. Please pick up trash so the neighborhood trash-pickers are not drawn to the location. Be Prepared- No Services, No Cell.
EARLY WALNUT CREEK PIONEERS In 1866, Walnut Creek settlers said, “there wasn’t a house or white inhabitant” along the Hardyville Road. In 1867, the Arizona Weekly Journal reported on the first Walnut Creek settlers, “The settlement at Walnut Creek . . . is a thrifty one. King and Co. have 50 acres planted, Whitcomb and Boblett 20, M. Hadley 15; chiefly in corn and vegetables.” In 1880, cattle ranching overtook farming as the main occupation. Dan O’Leary, born in Ireland in 1843, settled near Camp Toll Gate for a few years. O’Leary served as guide, interpreter, and mountain man. In 1867, the Arizona Weekly Journal reported on the army battling the Hualapai Indians: “Our worthy townsmen, Geo. Spear and Dan O’Leary go as guides; better and more thorough mountaineers than Kit Carson ever was or will be.” Flagstaff’s O’Leary Peak, Trail, and Campground were named for him. In 1876, Henry and Frances Plummer settled on Walnut Creek across from the Will Denny ranch, west of Fort Hualapai. They had two daughters, Alice and Ida, and four sons, Tom, Jack, Sterling, and Elmer, who became ranchers in the Seligman area. Elmer (1883–1927) married Pearl Belle Imus in 1907. Oscar Connell and Elmer Plummer ranched at Bear Creek, west of Walnut Creek, in 1919. Arcadia Publication's, Williamson Valley Road
Additional Hints
(No hints available.)