**************************************
The cache will be found at:-
N 54 26.abc, W 001 06.def
Where a, b, c, d, e and f can be derived from the memorial to Jane SEATON which should be easily found in the churchyard.
Jane SEATON died m Feb 1npq aged rs years
John SEATON died tu May 1vwx aged yz
a=(m+r) : b=(s+t+w) : c=(p+u+t)
d=(x-w) : e=(v-u) : f=(t+x)
**************************************
The church of ST. ANDREW stands on the west side of the village and consists of chancel 27 ft. 3 in. by 15 ft. 9 in., nave 50 ft. 6 in. by 15 ft., with north aisle 7 ft. 6 in. wide, south porch, north vestry, and small west tower or turret 4 ft. by 4 ft. 6 in., all the measurements being internal. The total width across the nave and aisle is 25 ft.
The building is largely of 12th-century date, but originally terminated eastward in a semicircular apse, part of the foundation of which on the south side was discovered in 1906. The chancel arch, nave arcade and the lower part of the west tower are ancient, but the rest of the structure was almost completely rebuilt in 1741, to which date the walls of the nave and all the windows, with one exception, belong. The apse was apparently destroyed and the chancel built in its present form with rectangular east end in the 13th century, but very little of the original detail remains owing to the 18th-century reconstruction. The greater part of the masonry in the north and south walls is, however, apparently ancient. It is possible from the detail of the piers and capitals in the nave arcade that the work there is of rather later date than the nave and apse, and the aisle may, therefore, be an addition to the original plan; but this is not certain, and the arches themselves are of the same plain type as that to the chancel. The capitals may have been altered and the carving introduced at the end of the century, or even when the new chancel was erected. There was a thorough restoration of the building in 1906, when the plaster ceilings of the nave and aisle were removed, the roofs repaired and the lead recast, the floors relaid and new seating inserted. All the inside walls and the arches of the nave arcade and chancel had been stoothed for lath and plaster in the 18th century, and as this was rotten it was removed. The vestry was added at the same time in front of the north doorway.
The building is faced with ashlar, all the external masonry, except at the west end and the north and south walls of the chancel, belonging to the 1741 rebuilding, but internally the nave walls show their ancient facing, the old stonework being probably re-used in the reconstruction. The roofs are of flat pitch and are covered with lead, with straight parapets to the nave and aisle. The porch, which dates from 1741, has a red pantiled roof.
The whole of the east wall of the chancel was rebuilt in the 18th-century reconstruction, and the east window is a single wide opening with keyed segmental head similar to other windows in the church. On the north side is a square-headed window splayed internally and with a wooden lintel, probably an 18thcentury adaptation of an older opening, and on the south side about 5 ft. from the east end a small lancet with internal shouldered arch and wide internal splay. Externally the opening has been widened by cutting away the chamfer of the jambs. The priest's doorway appears to be of early 13th-century date and has a semicircular moulded head. Along the top of the south wall, which is in the same line as the south wall of the nave, is a flat double-chamfered string, and in the south wall west of the priest's doorway an 18th-century window. The chancel retains no traces of ancient ritual arrangements, and the fittings are all modern. The walls are of bare stone, and the floor is raised two steps above that of the nave, with three steps to the sanctuary.
The chancel arch is semicircular and consists of a single square order without hood mould or ornament, springing from chamfered imposts and nook shafts on the nave side. The shafts have mutilated capitals and bases, the shaft on the north side being octagonal in section and the other circular. The capitals appear to have been of cushion type with volutes at the angles. The opening is only 6 ft. 3 in. wide, and the arch is composed of seventeen voussoirs on the west and nineteen on the east side, the stones not going through the wall. On either side of the opening is a squint, that on the north being oblique on account of its use from the aisle.
The nave arcade consists of five semicircular arches of two square orders with chamfered hood mould towards the nave springing from alternate circular and octagonal columns and similar responds, all with carved capitals and moulded bases. The capitals are of a very unusual type, taking the form of a corbel under each order of the arch, with the recesses thus formed at the angles filled with a series of grotesque and other carvings. It is possible that the angles of the 12th-century capitals were cut away at a later period and the carving introduced, but this is by no means certain and the motive of this rather original attempt at ornamentation is not apparent. The capital of the eastern semi-octagonal respond is carved with two animals, probably a boar and a wolf, and the other capitals, counting from the east, have carving in the four angles as follows: (1) conventional foliage, (2) beasts or sea-monsters with twisted tails, (3) four grotesque full-bellied sitting animals, (4) two human and two grotesque heads. The west respond has the heads of a man and animal. The base mouldings follow the section of the piers in each case, on a square plinth, and the piers are 6 ft. 9 in. high to the top of the capitals from the floor of the aisle, which is raised 9 in. above that of the nave.
The turret is open to the nave by a tall semicircular arch of a single square order composed of ten voussoirs, and has an original round-headed west window with head in one stone and wide internal splay, the sill of which is 8 ft. above the floor. The opening of the tower arch is 4 ft. wide and 11 ft. 9 in. in height to the springing. Some of the old masonry exists at the west end on either side of the turret, but the upper part of the turret itself, which overhangs slightly on the east and west and has a short pointed stone roof, is of later date, though earlier than the 18th century. It has a square-headed belfry window on each side, originally of three lights, but the mullions are gone and the opening filled in with wooden louvres.
Two stone effigies which had been placed on end against the walls were laid below the arches of the nave arcade in the restoration of 1906. They were for a long time in the churchyard, to which probably they had been moved in 1741. The first is the mutilated figure of a knight in a loose robe under a richly carved trefoiled canopy. Round his shoulders he carries a baldrick, and suspended from a belt on the left side is a sword. An inscription which formerly ran along the top of the canopy is now obliterated. The figure, which is 5 ft. long and rests on a modern slab, is attributed to a member of the family of Eure and is probably of 14th-century date. The second effigy is that of an ecclesiastic, the head resting on a cushion, on either side of which are a chalice and book. The figure is 6 ft. 3 in. long and in flat relief. Down the front of the chasuble runs the inscription + vilks de wretton capellan. There is also a portion of a small sepulchral slab with cross and sword moulded round the edge, and fragments of other slabs and stones found at the time of the restoration. A fragment with a floreated cross is built into the wall outside at the west end of the aisle.
The font consists of a portion of the original 12th-century bowl made up with new work, but the pulpit and all the other fittings are modern. The royal arms of George II are over the chancel arch.
The turret contains two bells of 18th-century date.
The plate consists of a cup and cover paten of 1570, with the usual band of leaf pattern and the maker's mark, two C's back to back, a cup, paten and flagon of 1749, each made by Thomas Whipham of London and inscribed 'This plate was given to the Parish of Ingleby Greenhow By the Honble Dame Mildred Foulis,' and a paten of 1725. There are also two pewter plates and a bowl.
The registers of baptisms and burials begin in 1539, the first marriage entries not occurring till 1560. The registers have been printed down to 1800.
Parishes: Ingleby Greenhow', A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2 (1923), pp. 243-249.
**************************************
For full information on how you can expand the Church Micro series by sadexploration please read the Place your own Church Micro page before you contact him.
See also the Church Micro Statistics and Home pages for further information about the series.
*************************************