A multi with a short stroll beginning at the village sign of Biddenden.
Biddenden is a large mostly agricultural and wooded village on the Weald of Kent with a population of approximately 2500. It was centre for Wealden iron industry and also of clothmaking. During the half century reign of Edward III, Flemish clothworkers were settled in the area. The ready availability of raw materials led to the establishment of an industry for the production of broadcloth. An important cottage industry is established to the west, where numerous vineyards and orchards produce varietal wines, ciders and juices.
The place name of Biddenden is derived from the Kentish dialect of Old English, meaning Bidda's woodland pasture. The local pasture was associated with a man called Bida. The area was served by Biddenden railway station, on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. The station opened on 15 May 1905 and closed on 4 January 1954.
The village sign, made of wraught iron depicts a pair of cojoined twins. The Biddenden Maids, Mary and Eliza Chulkhurst were supposedly born in the village in 1100. According to tradition Mary and Eliza were relatively wealthy and said to be conjoined at both the shoulder and the hip. They grew up conjoined and lived until they were 34. In their wills, the sisters left five pieces of land in the Biddenden area comprising around 20 acres to the local church. The income from these lands were to provide an annual dole of bread, cheese and beer to the poor every Easter.
King Rama VII of Siam (1893–1941) lived in Biddenden after his abdication in 1935.
The village sign and information you require to find the cache can be located at the published co-ords. The cache can be found at:
N 51° 06.(A+E)(C+D)(F-D) E 000° 38.(C+F)(B-C)(A-E)
Where the letters equal the missing digits:
A=This green was improved 19_3
B=Queen Victoria 22nd June 189_
C=Refusing to be separated died _ hours later
D=Offering a total of £22_0 in prizes
E=In 199_ this sign was constructed
F=Queen Elizabeth II 5th June 201_
If anybody would like to expand this series please do. I would just ask that you let Smokeypugs know first so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.