
Designed by Edward Browning in 1854 after he had drawn up plans for a similar building at Bourne. He was the son of Bryan Browning (1773-1856) who was in practice at Stamford during the 19th century and was responsible for many famous buildings in the area including the Town Hall at Bourne.
Edward Browning (1816-1882) also trained in the profession and became equally successful, working from his father's offices at No 16 Broad Street, Stamford, where he soon gained a reputation as one of the area’s leading ecclesiastic architects, responsible for much renovation work on local churches, including Bourne Abbey, the parish church at Uffington and the small Victorian apsidal chapel at St Andrew's Church, Sempringham. He also designed the stone bridge erected over the River Welland in 1849,the National School in Eastgate in 1857, now demolished, and the Ostler memorial fountain dedicated to local benefactor John Lely Ostler (1811-59), erected in Bourne market place in 1860 but moved to the cemetery in 1962 because of traffic problems.
Several architects were invited to submit plans for the cemetery chapel building and lodge house by the Bourne Burial Board and Browning’s designs were accepted by members at their meeting on Wednesday 15th February 1854, his architect's fee to be 5% of the total cost. The site, almost four acres of meadow on the west side of South Road, had already been purchased from local landowner Philip Duncombe Pauncefort Duncombe for £420 and at a meeting on Thursday 30th March, members agreed to spend £1,600 on establishing the cemetery although it was later realised that a further £400 would be needed to meet the final cost, bringing the total bill to £2,000.
This included the purchase of land, building the chapel and lodge house, fees and enfranchisement, drainage, levelling and roads, legal expenses for the conveyancing of the land and a brick or stone wall required by the vendor, and was equivalent to a penny rate per annum spread over 20 years although some of the cost was expected to be defrayed by voluntary subscriptions from the wealthier people of the town.
After prolonged discussions and argument with members of the Vestry Meeting [predecessor of our local council system], the board agreed that two acres of the land be set aside for consecration and use by the Church of England, including the approaches, gardens, chapel, lodge and frontage, and the remainder to be left unconsecrated for the dissenters or non-conformists and others required to use it. The Vestry Meeting also gave the burial board the necessary sanction to borrow the money required to finance the project from the Public Works Loan Commission at an interest rate of 5% per annum.
Browning's designs were subsequently approved by the Bishop of Lincoln, the Rt Rev John Jackson, and the building work was put out to tender, four being received, from Messrs Ruddall and Thompson of Peterborough (£975), Messrs Swann and Bradshaw of Stamford (£940), Mr J T Jeffs of Stamford (£857) and Mr Moses Peal of Stamford (£845), the latter being the successful bid. Mr Peal's tender for building the protecting wall around the cemetery at a cost of 3s. 9d. per superficial yard was also accepted.
Browning originally included a bell tower, some 70 feet high, as he did for the design of the cemetery chapel at Stamford, but it was scrapped to cut costs.
But both buildings have the same circular window, a doorway with a pointed arch and a door with decorative hinges although the Stamford chapel has retained its tower
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first at churchmicro@gmail.com so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats & Information page found via the Bookmark list”