Pindar is a small town located about 30 km east of Mullewa on the northern edge of W.A.’s wheatbelt. The name of the town was taken from an aboriginal waterhole - Pindar Well.
In 1894, the Northern Railway from Geraldton to Mullewa was opened, and four year later was extended to Cue. A railway station was built at Pindar to service outlying farms. The townsite of Pindar was gazetted on 22 February 1901. In those days wool and gold were the mainstay of the Australian economy and old photographs show huge teams of camels pulling wagons loaded to the gunnels with bales of wool.
Later, the surrounding areas produced wheat and other cereal crops. The town is a receival site for Cooperative Bulk Handling.
The railway to Cue was closed on 29 April 1978 but grain freight services to the west continued on a seasonal basis. All grain freight is now by road.
Gangers and their families who lived in Pindar were serviced by a general store and post office and a hotel.
The Pindar Hotel was opposite the train station. It is a double story stone building with stone bought in from the local area. Opening hours were most of the time, as the Mullewa police (turned a blind eye so to speak), as to when the hotel was open. Train crews would walk over to the hotel for a beer when their train was waiting in the loop line. The train crews would even wake the publican if the hotel was closed and the train crews required alcohol.
Until the mid 1970’s, Pindar was home to the only telephone facility in the district and local farmers would need to drive long distances to use it.
School children travelled from outlying farms by bus to Mullewa, collecting dozens of gangers kids at Pindar on the way. The bus always stopped at Rose’s General Store and Post Office on the way home.
Pindar attracts thousands of wildflower enthusiasts who come to see the lavish carpet of native flowering species. Observant travellers may see the rare Leschenaultia or Wreath Flower growing on the side of the road.
