Skip to content

Middle Earth - Tyddewi #14 Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

simon1365: No

More
Hidden : 7/15/2014
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

This is a magnetic micro geocache located in the quiet and beautiful hamlet of Middle Mill, along the River Solva and to the north of Solva. It is a great spot for a family picnic along the river, and can be accessed via car, bicycle or foot. It is along Route 4 of the cycle network, and there are numerous footpaths that cross through this this scenic location - well worth a visit. Don't forget your pen/pencil!


Historic Background 

An area of modern Pembrokeshire on the south side of St David's Peninsula, comprising the valley of the Afon Solfach around Middle Mill, upstream of Solva village. It lay within the medieval Cantref Pebidiog, or 'Dewisland', which was held directly by the Bishops of St David's, having represented the core of the bishopric from 1082 when it was granted (or confirmed) by Rhys ap Tewdwr, king of pre-Conquest Dyfed, to Bishop Sulien. The character area now lies within Whitchurch parish but formerly lay within the historic parish of St David's, which even today preserves a remarkable ecclesiastical topography. A medieval hospice site may be represented by a place-name, 'Clyn Ysbyty', which has been in use since at least 1610. From 1115, when Bernard was appointed Bishop of St David's, Anglo-Norman systems of feudal government and ecclesiastical administration were introduced into Pebidiog, which was conterminous with the later Hundred of Dewsland created in 1536. The character area lay within the 'manor' of Welsh Hundred and Tydwaldy but Welsh tenurial systems appear to have persisted, though variously adapted, and many feudal rights and obligations continued even into the early 20th-century. The character area is dominated by the Afon Solfach which was thought worthy of mention by Giraldus Cambrensis in c.1200. Pebidiog had long been renowned for its fertile arable land and accordingly a corn-mill at Solva is mentioned in the Black Book of St David's of 1326, which may represent the present Solva mill in the south of this character area. Caerforiog Mill, in the north, is not listed in the Black Book but appears also to have medieval origins, and its pond - Llyn-yr-alarch or 'Swan's Pool' - features a possible moated site and a former dovecote (see Caerforiog character area). Middle Mill was also not listed in 1326 and its name presupposes that it was the latest of the three mills. Middle Mill Bridge was mentioned by name in a document of 1598, indicating that a mill had by been established. Both Solva and Middle Mill possessed rights of common grazing within the area suggesting that the allocation of common land in Pebidiog may, at least in part, be post-medieval in origin. Middle Mill Farm corn mill, presumably on the site of the 16th century mill, is marked on a map from 1760, as is the Mill House, and was still operational as a corn mill in 1812. However, by this period Middle Mill had developed as a centre of the post-medieval cloth industry. In the 17th century, 2500 acres of land including Middle Mill were sold to a London mercer and in the 1830s the highest density of woollen mills for any one Pembrokeshire district was seventeen in the neighbourhood of St David's. They included Middle Mill around which a 19th century semi-industrial village developed, with a chapel and a public house. The present cloth factory, however, was not established until 1907. Under the name 'Thomas Griffiths and Son' it exported throughout the UK, and more recently has been a carpet factory.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Yynaqrybl Crqjne zvygve

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)