Skip to content

This cache has been archived.

riviouveur: Bonjour,

Merci de me contacter si cette cache peut être réactivée. En attendant, elle est archivée pour permettre éventuellement à quelqu'un d'autre d'en placer une dans le secteur.

Cordialement,
riviouveur - "Groundspeak Volunteer Reviewer".

More
<

Saltire

A cache by SouthShields Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 07/29/2014
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

The Church of Scotland in Brussels was built as a memorial to the Scots soldiers who died in the Firsr World War and who are burried in Belgium.


English

St Andrew’s Church of Scotland was built in memory of the Scots soldiers killed during the First World War and buried in Belgium.  The site of the building was purchased for BF110.000 (around €2.726) and a fund-raising campaign was started to get money for the construction.  The church was formally dedicated on 15 November 1925.

In 1939 the congregation had to consider the imminent threat of hostilities and in March 1940 the last congregational meeting was held before the evacuation of the Minister and most of the congregation.  One member, James Normand, almost left it too late to leave and had to cycle to the coast and was lucky enough to get on one of the last boats leaving for England.

During the German occupation of Brussels the owner of the garage across the road (and there is still a garage there today) looked after St Andrew’s.  The German forces used the church as a stable and storage facility.

In the autumn of 1944 liberation troops marched up Ave Louise and the flag of St Andrew’s (the saltire) was raised above the church.

The year 2000 coincided with the 75th anniversary of the church and to commemorate the event a commemorative stained glass window was commissioned.  The design of the window evokes the military cemeteries of Flanders, the poppies that have become a British icon for war remembrance, and the hills of Scotland.  Two hands bearing a blood stained cloth symbolises distress and incomprehension and above the hands rises a white dove of peace and higher still appears a source of light, hope and reassurance.  The window was designed by Marcelle Majerus-Nizet.

Today the church has a membership made up of many nationalities with only about 30% coming from Scotland.  It has an active congregation and an excellent choir and organist.

Note that the cache is located about 40m from the church, which is in Chausee de Vleurgat, but you can see the church from the cache. The church is too near another cache for it to be located at the church.

NL

De St Andrew's Church van Schotland werd gebouwd ter nagedachtenis aan de Schotse soldaten die sneuvelden tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog en in België begraven werden. De site van het gebouw werd gekocht voor BF110.000 (ongeveer € 2,726) en er werd een inzamelingsactie opgestart om geld te krijgen voor de opbouw. De kerk werd officieel ingewijd op 15 november 1925.

In 1939 nam de gemeente de onmiddellijke dreiging van vijandelijkheden waar en in maart 1940 werd de laatste gemeentelijke bijeenkomst gehouden vooraleer de priester en het merendeel van de congregatie geëvacueerd werd. Een lid, James Normand was bijna te laat om mee te gaan. Hij moest op de fiets naar de kust rijden en had het geluk op een van de laatste boten te geraken om naar Engeland te vertrekken.

Tijdens de Duitse bezetting van Brussel zorgde de eigenaar van de garage aan de overkant (vandaag de dag is er nog steeds een garage) voor St Andrew's. De Duitse troepen gebruikten de kerk als een stevige opslagplaats. In het najaar van 1944 marcheerden de bevrijdingstroepen door de Louizalaan en de vlag van St Andrew's (de saltire) werd bovenop de kerkgehesen.

Het jaar 2000 viel samen met de 75ste verjaardag van de kerk en ter nagedachtenis van deze gebeurtenis werd de opdracht gegeven voor een loden herdenkingsglasraam. Het ontwerp van het raam weerspiegelt de militaire begraafplaatsen van Vlaanderen, de klaprozen die een Brits icoon voor oorlogsherinneringen zijn geworden en de heuvels van Schotland. Twee handen die een bebloede doek dragen symboliseren leed en onbegrip , boven die handen stijgt een witte duif van vrede en nog hoger verschijnt een bron van licht, hoop en geruststelling. Het raam werd ontworpen door Marcelle Majerus-Nizet.

Vandaag heeft de kerk heeft een lidmaatschap bestaande uit vele nationaliteiten. Slechts ongeveer 30% is afkomstig uit Schotland. Het heeft een actieve congregatie, , een geweldig koor en een uitstekende organist.

Merk op dat de cache is gelegen op ongeveer 40 meter van de kerk, die in Chausee de Vleurgat, maar je kunt de kerk zien uit de cache. De kerk is te dicht bij een andere cache om te kunnen worden gevestigd bij de kerk.

French

L'église St Andrew d’Ecosse fut construite à la mémoire des soldats écossais tués pendant la Première Guerre mondiale et enterrés en Belgique. Le site de l'immeuble avait été acheté pour 110.000 francs belges (environ 2,700 Euros) grâce à une campagne de collecte de fonds lancée pour obtenir l'argent  nécessaire à sa construction. L'église fut officiellement consacrée le 15 Novembre 1925.


En 1939, la congrégation dû examiner la menace imminente des hostilités. En conséquence, la dernière réunion de la congrégation eu lieu en Mars 1940 avant l'évacuation du révérend  et de la plupart de la congrégation.

Le dernier membre, James Normand, partit un peu plus tard, pu encore rejoindre la côte en vélo et eu ainsi la chance de monter sur l'un des derniers bateaux en partance pour l'Angleterre.
Pendant l'occupation allemande de Bruxelles, le propriétaire du garage situé en face de l’église (et il y a encore un garage au même endroit aujourd'hui) garda un œil  sur St Andrew. Pendant cette période, les forces allemandes utilisèrent l'église comme écurie et magasin de stockage.

À l'automne 1944, les troupes de libération progressèrent jusqu'à l'avenue Louise et le drapeau de St Andrew (le sautoir) retrouva sa place sur le toit de l'église.

L'année 2000 vit la commémoration du 75e anniversaire de l'église. Un vitrail commémoratif fut commandé à cette occasion. On y trouve une évocation des cimetières militaires de Flandre, des coquelicots, symbole britannique du souvenir de la guerre, et les collines de l'Ecosse. Deux mains portant un chiffon taché de sang symbolisent la détresse et l'incompréhension. Au-dessus s’élève la colombe blanche de la paix dans un halo lumineux symbolisant l’espoir et le réconfort. Ce vitrail fut conçu par Marcelle Majerus-Nizet.


Aujourd'hui, l'église a un effectif composé de plusieurs nationalités comprenant seulement  30% d’écossais. Elle dispose d'une congrégation très active, d’un excellent chœur ainsi que d’organiste réputé.

Notez que le cache est situé à environ 40 m de l'église, qui est en Chaussée de Vleurgat, mais vous pouvez voir l'église à partir du cache. L'église est trop près d'un autre cache pour qu'il soit situé à l'église.

 

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Zntargvp.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.