It's a celebration of all things Earth this week, and EarthCaches teach us geocachers all about the world in which we play. So let's have fun with an EarthCache Celebration and keeping a park clean! Come on out and join the International Geocaching community and show the World just how much we love her.
As part of EarthCache's 10th Anniversary there is an optional Virtual 5k that you can participate in to help your your digital earthcache.org souvenirs. While walking the path, why not pick up any loose trash you see and help keep our Earth clean.
For the 5k, should you choose to participate, all you have to do is walk or run 5k(3.1 miles) and keep record of your own time. Everyone who completes the run and uploads a photo will be sent an icon via email that you can display on your caching pages or website.
And it is FREE to participate.
We'll post a map for an optional 5k walk to help you earn your EarthCache 5k logo. (will be posted at least 1 week before the event).
Whether you choose to Run, Walk, or Sit, come on out and celebrate International EarthCache Day by keeping our Park clean!
Donations for the raffle are greatly appreciated.
- Starting at 9am we'll gather at the posted coords which is near the EarthCache: Sacred Rock near Big Medicine: GC4ZQFB
- At 9:05 we'll take the ever-important group photo with all the participants in the 5k holding their bib up.
- At 9:15 we'll hold off a raffle for fun prizes.
- At 9:30 the optional Virtual 5k Run/Walk will begin (see below). We'll provide a pre-mapped out 5k route for you to safely walk/run and perform a little CITO along the route. (keep your own time)
- If you opt out of the 5k, there are plenty of area's to patrol for trash.
- We'll provide trash bags. Bring your own gloves and other trash grabbing apparatuses you wish to use.
- There will be a new EarthCache published the morning of this event. Everyone who attends this event and logs the EarthCache can claim FTF on it.
- In addition to the new EarthCache there will also be a new WherIGo. This Cartridge is designed to walk you along the pre-planned 5k route (see below). I'll post a link to the cartridge the day before the event via an announcement.
We'd like to take the time to thank our sponsors for their donations:
Information on the Virtual 5k Taken from earthcache.org
How to participate
- All participants must agree to and follow the Official Run Rules printed below and on the bib.
- By printing off the bib or T shirt or by completing any of the online forms, you have agreed to follow all the Official Run Rules.
- Register on earthcache.org for the run/walk to earn credit.
If you want, you can order an Earth Cache Virtual 5k shirt through earthcache.org.
- Keep record of your own time.
After your Run - The buttons below will only work during and after the run dates:
Friday 3 October - Monday 13 October 2014
PLEASE TELL US IN THE EMAIL YOUR CACHING NAME
If button does not work for your email program -
please send an email to email@example.com,
with the Subject Line "EC Virtual 5K Photo"
By emailing your photo to us you are giving GSA/EarthCache
the rights to use the photo in program materials both
printed and electronically, including on social media.
Here's a map of our pre-planned course route. Since this is a virtual 5k you do not have to follow this route, you just have to complete the 5k goal and keep your own time. There will be a new EarthCache published in the park that morning as well as a new WherIGo that will guide you through this pre-planned route.
Official Run Rules
- You should consult with your medical practitioner before the run to ensure that you are healthy enough to participate.
- Your run must start at or end at an active EarthCache.
- Your run must cover at least 5km.
- You must keep your own accurate time.
- You must run on a safe route and not interfere with private property, roadways or other activities.
- You assume all risks associated with this activity and release the EarthCache program, the Geological Society of America , geocaching.com and any associated organization or individuals from any liability.
- Supplies will be very limited. Please bring everything you need to accomplish your goals for the day. Event hosts and the City of Rocklin assume no liability.