About Cock's Comb Station
This multi will not take more than a few minutes longer than if it was a traditional. It is a safe place to stop for a break. The railway line is being used so please look out although there is no need to go close to the active line.
At the published coordinates you will find a triangular concrete block with a number on it. Let the numerals be AB. Add (A+B+9) to the South Coordinates and (B) to the East Coordinates
The Cock's Comb station is on the Uitenhage Klipplaat section of the Port Elizabeth Graaff-Reinet, the Midland Line. The station has a great view of the Cock's Comb mountain.
The line splits at Klipplaat with one branch going to Willowmore and then on to Cape Town while the other branch goes to Graaff-Reinet.
The construction of the railway line from Port Elizabeth commenced on 9 January 1872 when the first sod was turned at a spot near Zwartkops. The line from Port Elizabeth to Uitenhage was officially opened on 21 September 1875. A service to the Glenconnor Station was commenced on 1 May 1877. The Midland line was completed in 1879 with the first train arriving in Graaff-Reinet on 25 August 1879. The first train to arrive at Klipplaat Station was on 3 February 1879.
The rail connection to Oudtshoorn got underway with the important stretch from Klipplaat to Willowmore, opened on 1 August 1902, after the conclusion of Anglo-Boer War.
Tracks Across the Veld by Boon Boonzaaier