This magnificent double stone circle is one of the most important archaeological features on Dartmoor having been built in the bronze age about 4,000 years ago. The two stone circles are 4.5 metres apart, with the northern circle consists of 20 upright granite slabs forming a circle of about 32 metres in diameter while the southern circle has 29 stones and is slightly larger at 33 metres. Most of the stones are of similar height being between about 1.2m and 1.4m These circles were restored and many fallen stones re-erected in 1909.
As with much of Dartmoor, local folklore abounds. One story tells of a farmer who had recently moved to Dartmoor and was foolish enough to criticise the sheep on sale at Tavistock Market. He stopped for a drink at the Warren House Inn, and helped by several pints of cider, the locals persuaded him that there was an excellent flock of high quality sheep nearby which he would be welcome to buy. They walked off in search of them, and through the mist the farmer saw what he took to be a fine flock. He agreed to the sale, and returned to the site the following morning to find that what he had taken to be sheep were actually the stones of Grey Wethers.