Skip to content

Chaffey Dam Views Traditional Cache

Hidden : 9/20/2014
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Chaffey Dam

Commenced in August 1976 and completed in September 1979, the Chaffey Dam is a minor dam on the Peel River, a tributary of the Namoi River, approximately 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) north of Nundle and 44 kilometres (27 mi) south-east of Tawmorth.

Water from the dam is released directly into the Peel River which is used by irrigators downstream of the dam, and for water supply of the city of Tamworth. The dam wall comprises 1,413 cubic metres (49,900 cu ft) of rock fill is 55.8 metres (183 ft) high and is 430 metres (1,410 ft) long. The maximum water depth is 30 metres (98 ft) and at 100% capacity the dam wall holds back 62,830 megalitres (2,219×106 cu ft) of water at 518 metres (1,699 ft) AHD. The surface area of the reservoir is 542 hectares (1,340 acres) and the catchment area is 420 square kilometres (160 sq mi).

The dam uses an unusual concrete morning glory bell-shaped uncontrolled spillway which is capable of discharging 903 cubic metres per second (31,900 cu ft/s).

Chaffey Dam provides valuable public recreation including swimming, sailing, boating and fishing.

Upgrade of facilities An A$13 million upgrade of Chaffey Dam commenced during 2010 that involved the construction of a 35 metres (115 ft) auxiliary spillway with release plug, funded by the Government of New South Wales and was completed in early 2011. A second stage A$43.33 million augmentation commenced in 2013, funded by the Australian Government, the NSW Government and Tamworth Regional Council. This augmentation is expected to be completed during 2014 and involves raising the dam wall by 8 metres (26 ft) and subsequent works to raise the morning glory spillway and bridge deck. These works will increase the full supply level of the dam by 6.5 metres (21 ft), the dam's capacity from 62 gigalitres (2.2×109 cu ft) to 100 gigalitres (3.5×109 cu ft) and ensure it can withstand the maximum possible flood. The project also involves a realignment of roads on the western foreshore; the Tamworth-Nundle Road, and River Road.

Etymology
The dam is named in honour of Frank Chaffey, who represented Tamworth in the New South Wales Legislative Assembly between 1913 and 1940, and his son, Bill, who represented the same seat between 1940 and 1973.

Cache detail taken from Wikipedia 20/9/2014

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Fubhyq abg arrq bar. Vg'f abg nobhg gur pnpur ohg gur ivrjf.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)