Wherigo Halloween Party!
So as it is nearing Halloween Time, we thought a spooky themed event would be fun! One of the best ways to enjoy this spooktacular season is caching, and one type of caching that most cachers are not very familiar with is Wherigo caching.
Rannthal, my wife (aubs) and I have sacrificed lots of time, creativity, and even some good money in preparing a fantastic evening for all to come and enjoy. There are several parts to this fun event in the park in Payson:
First: (time length: 20-30 minutes) We'll talk a bit about Wherigo caches, answering the following questions: "What is a wherigo cache?" "How do they work?" and "What do we have in store for you guys tonight?" We will have two different wherigos that you can do: we will start with a quick intro to wherigo cache, which will be followed by a full-length spooky wherigo adventure cache, complete with a haunted Indian graveyard forest and cursed treasure!
For example, here's how the story starts...
One day, while staying with a friend in town, you jog past a nearby park towards evening. You note that when you passed by earlier in the day, children were playing and all seemed well. However, now that it is dusk, you notice a foreboding feeling in the air. You pause for a breath, and listen.
“That’s odd,” you think to yourself. Not a sound; no birds, no children about, just….deathly silence. You feel a chill run down your spine as a cold wind strikes you, and you nervously laugh to shake off the feeling, then quickly continue your jog back to your friend’s place, just a bit more quickly than before...
Interested now? Yeah...that sent chills down our spine too! We can't wait!
Second: (5 minute explanation) What is a CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) Event? What will we be doing? (Short Answer: picking up trash as we go, leaving the area better than we found it!) We'll have prizes to trade for your trashy treasures that you find!
Third: (5 minutes-?) Have some spooky fun! Those who want to do the full length wherigo can go, while others can stay near the playground area to mingle (or grab nearby caches, etc.). Costumes are optional (but recommended); we will also have prizes to give away for the fan favorites!
Date & Time: Saturday, Oct. 25th, from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM (-ish)
Drinks and treats will be provided; feel free to bring other food to share!
We'll be meeting near the playground, and starting off with the wherigo discussion, intro wherigo cache and costume contest. After that, those who wish to do the longer wherigo will be set loose, and those who wish to remain near the playground are welcome to socialize. No matter which you choose, we will all be picking up trash as we go, and bringing it back to the area right by the playground. Awards will be given out in exchange for trash collected, as well as for the first several people to finish the longer Wherigo adventure.
- Make sure whatever device you will be using is fully charged, and bring a backup if you can (wherigos can sometimes drain your battery).
- Make sure to dress warmly, and bring gloves...there is lots of trash scattered about that we should pick up as we go, and even some boughs and branches that could use clearing from pathways. Feel free to bring bags (though we will be bringing lots of regular grocery bags and some bigger trash bags as well). We'll collect all the trash nearby the playground, in bags near the garbage bins located there. Any extra trash that doesn't fit inside we'll haul off at the end of the night.
- Be ready to have fun! Bring your most fun costume, as there will be prizes! We will also have adults who will be staying near the playground after the initial part, so if you want to come to just socialize, let the kids play, etc., that is fine too!
- If you've never even heard of a wherigo or don't know what the heck they are, WE WANT YOU! This is an event to help others learn more about these somewhat little-known caches, which can be very fun. Come and learn something new! After the explanation and tutorial, if you still aren't sure, no hard feelings. Just come have fun!
- If you have any suggestions, comments, questions, etc., post a note, please! We want this to be as well-attended and fun as possible! Thank you!
NOTE: Please RSVP so we know how many will be attending so we can plan accordingly. Thanks!