
This lighthouse is at the south end of Key Biscayne in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Constructed in 1825, it guided mariners off the Florida Reef, which starts near Key Biscayne. It was operated by staff, with interruptions, until 1878, when it was replaced by the Fowey Rocks lighthouse. The lighthouse was put back into use in 1978 by the U.S. Coast Guard to mark the Florida Channel, the deepest natural channel into Biscayne Bay. They decommissioned it in 1990.
Within a Florida State Park since 1966, the lighthouse was relit in 1996. It is owned and operated by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
Year first constructed: 1825
Year first lit: 1847
Automated: 1978
Deactivated: (1878-1978) and (1990-1996
Foundation: Brick on coral reef
Construction: Brick
Tower shape: Conical tower
Markings / pattern: White tower with black lantern
Height: 95 feet (29 m)
Focal height: 100 feet (30 m)
Original lens: 1846: 17 Argand lamps with 21-in reflectors 1855: Second-order Fresnel lens
Current lens: 300 MM
Characteristic: Current: White flash every 6 secs
In order to get the correct coordinates, please choose which lighthouse this is:
A) Cape Florida Lighthouse - N29° 20.914 W81° 49.194
B) St. Marks Lighthouse - N29° 21.078 W81° 47.486
C) Volusia Bar Lighthouse - N29° 21.178 W81° 47.586
To learn more about Florida Lighthouses, please visit the link below:
Lighthouse Friends, Florida Lighthouses: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/fl.html
Unless noted otherwise, all source material is from Wikipedia.