The cemetery was opened in 1897, and extended twice, in 1935 and again in 1937. A tree-lined drive leads to a modern chapel and crematorium block with paved landscaping, which gradually gives way to the Victorian original, with its own chapel and a number of angels. The crematorium was built in 1937, and extended in 1962.
The cemetery contains the graves of 195 Commonwealth service personnel of the First World War, scattered throughout the cemetery, and 150 from the Second World War. Some of the Second World War-era graves form a war graves plot on Thornton Heath extension (Plot P.P.), which contains special memorials to two casualties whose graves could not be located.
A Portland stone memorial erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission faces the Garden of Rest at Croydon Crematorium, and commemorates 76 Commonwealth service personnel of the Second World War who were cremated there
Book of Remembrance
These are beautiful hand made books with inscriptions and illustrations completed individually by an artist. Floral emblems, badges and personal artwork can be added. The entries are viewed on the anniversary and as this memorial is in perpetuity it will never need to be renewed.
.Message to ALL cache's please use the walkways provided and respect that it is a cemetery and in constant use for Burials. Thank you and Happy Hunting.