A quick cache on Station Road
Hailsham Railway Station was on the Cuckoo Line between Polegate and Hellingly serving the town of Hailsham. Originally built in 1849 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. it was a terminus station serving both passengers and livestock for the nearby market. It remained a terminus until 1880 when it was connected with Eridge on a single line railway.
On 14 June 1965 the station became a terminus again when the line northward closed to passenger traffic. Freight continued northwards as far as Heathfield until 26 April 1968 when a lorry damaged a bridge at Horsebridge, north of Hailsham. It was already been earmarked for closure on the 7 May, and as such it was not deemed economic to repair the bridge so line was subsequently never reopened to Heathfield. On 8 September 1968, the last passenger train left Hailsham at 10:30pm and the station and line then closed completely.