Skip to content

REALLY SideTracked - Peel Station Multi-Cache

Hidden : 02/01/2015
2 out of 5
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

The SideTracked Series is a very popular series of caches throughout the United Kingdom and several other Countries. The caches relating to this series are usually placed close to Railway Stations or former Railway Stations (see above Related Web Page). Please feel free to add to the series.

Isle of Man Railways

The Isle of Man Railway had a narrow gauge steam-operated railway connecting Douglas with Peel. The line is 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge and 11.5 miles (18.5 km) long. It was part of what was a much larger network that served the South of the Island to Castletown / Port Erin, the northern town of Ramsey and the small mining village of Foxdale, a network of over 46 miles (74 km), large for an island as small as the Isle of Man. The Southern section is now in Government ownership and still in use as a tourist attraction. It uses original rolling stock and locomotives and there are few concessions to modernity. Click here for more information.

Peel Station

Peel Station nearing the end of its operating days.

The terminus at Peel was located on the East quayside at the mouth of the busy harbour and was originally furnished with a wooden structure with corrugated iron roof as was commonplace in the early years of the railway. Its location in the lower part of the town ensured that it was regularly used for goods traffic and passengers alike. Its popularity in the earliest years of the railway saw expansion and improvements, such as the addition of raised platforms in 1909 and provision of further goods sidings.

The original station building was replaced in 1908 by a much more substantial stone-built affair, featuring the distinctive local red sandstone; this new edifice contained the station master's accommodation as well as porter's rooms, booking hall and waiting room facilities. A little later it was joined by a goods shed with platform in similar style and a water tower was erected, with locomotive shed at the mouth of the yard.

The station closed in 1968 and in 1975 the platform and lines were removed and sold for scrap. The area has since been used for a boat/car park and the original station building has been sympathetically incorporated into the new House of Manannan Museum.

The Cache

The Coordinates take you to the House of Manannan, there you will see a triangular shaped plaque giving details of when the foundation stone was laid. From that plaque answer the following questions : -

  1. First number in date = A
  2. Last number in year minus 1= B.
  3. Month = C
  4. Second number in year. = D
  5. Answer to A multiplied by 2 = E
  6. Add all numbers in year together minus 25 = F

The final is a short walk away to an area people often overlook.

N54. 13. ABC

W004. 41.DEF


Flag Counter

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ybbx nebhaq Ovezvatunz !

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)