AFK Geocaching is proud to present, Freedom GeoTrail 2015 with the partnership of National Park Service's Network to Freedom Program, Ohio History Connection (Ohio Historical Society), National Underground Railroad Freedom Center and nearly a dozen more historical organizations!
The Freedom GeoTrail will share a small portion of the regions history involving the Underground Railroad and American Civil War! During the drive along the trail you will experience over 97 miles of history with much of the suggested route along the scenic Ohio River.
Come, learn and explore one of the main hubs of the Underground Railroad and a region that had a huge significance to the American Civil War.
- Did You Know: This event will mark 150 years since the end of the American Civil War..
Full event schedule and details will be posted and updated via the website, however this will be event central for the weekend! (Friday-Sunday.)
The following times will be when event central will be open:
- Friday: 10am-4pm
- Saturday: 10am-4pm
- Sunday: 10am-4pm
Event is a rain or shine event, as long as the river doesn't wash us out!
Hauserman Park / Green Kayak, on the Historical New Richmond Water front! This small town was a key crossing and hub of the Underground Railroad and near where Ulysses Grant was born. In addition it is a very central location along the trail.
Green Kayak. 200 Front St. New Richmond, OH. 45157
Optional registration on the website is available for themed, customized, trackable name badges..and more!
*Sales and registration will open on February 5th.
How this GeoTrail works:
- Obtain your Freedom GeoTrail Passport brochure, either by printing it out (click here) or picking it up from event central. At each of the geocaches you will find a tag with a unique word. Collect these words on your passport! Do not forget to enjoy each location and and don't forget to log your find during all of the excitement!
- Remember, in the future, the Freedom GeoTrail will grow and have more locations added! To complete this portion of the trail however will not change.
- ProTip: There are 2 ways to tackle this trail during the event.. OPTION A: Print out the trail guide (or just write down the code words at each location) and start at downtown Cincinnati at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. Work your way down the list below and in order. Event Central is located at the Historic New Richmond hide. Gather your packet there then proceed to the end of the trail. OPTION B: Start at event central and pick up your registration packet and sign log book. Then proceed to the first location in Downtown Cincinnati and start your journey to the last stop. WRAP UP: So once you finish the trail, you have claimed your 10 cache finds and collected all your code words, deliver your completed passport to event central and there you can purchase/order your trail coin. OR you can mail in your finished slip.
Freedom GeoTrail Locations
FGT National Underground Railroad Freedom Center (GC5T08R)
FGT Spring Grove Cemetery (GC5T08W)
FGT Harriet Beecher Stowe House, Cincinnati (GC5T090)
FGT Camp Dennison Civil War Museum (GC5T095)
FGT Historic New Richmond Ohio (GC5T09A)
FGT Ulysses S. Grant Birthplace (GC5T09D)
FGT John P. Parker House (GC5T09G)
FGT Rankin House (GC5T09M)
FGT Ulysses S. Grant Schoolhouse (GC5T09Q)
FGT Ulysses S. Grant Boyhood Home (GC5T09T)
We are pleased to offer a 3D sculpted, 2.5" massive work of art Geocoin by the renowned Christian Mackey.. Full details available at the website.
- Trail GeoCoin: A classic antique gold finish with beautiful red and blue highlights.
- Event GeoCoin: A classic antique silver finish with beautiful red and blue highlights. This coin will come paired with a "tag" that most Geocachers would enjoy adding to a collection.
- Advance Sale GeoCoin: A truly unique copper coin without any color fills so that you can see the true unique beauty of the design without distraction or obstruction! In addition this coin is only available to those whom advance purchased before the event!
- Gift-shop Edition GeoCoin: Post event rendition of the limited event coin to help complete any cacher's collection for a Gold/Silver mix! The classic antique silver finish but without any color highlights. This coin will only be available thought participating locations.
- Volunteer Edition GeoCoin: To be announced!
*The trail's GeoCoin is available for purchase after completion of the GeoTrail.
**Since the initial order for coins will be placed after the event, we will be ordering exact quantities! There will be no extras of the Event or Advance Sale coin! After 4pm April 26th, 2015 the sale of those coins will be cut off for good.
***Due to the cost of the coin we did not pre-mint a bulk order of coins. Please allow at-least 6-12 weeks for delivery of your coins after the event! Coins were designed in the United States and minted in Hong Kong.
****ALL GeoCoins will come with an official Adventure Cards, Copy Card! This is an all weather trading card designed for Geocachers with an illustration of the coin and your GC Tracking code. Hold onto your coin and send your Copy Card out to be discovered!
You might need to contact us if there is a situation that you run into on the trail. Remember we stay busy but will always try to take any calls or text messages. To call or text us: 513-235-2436. (You can also message us though the Geocaching website.)
You may also need to email us your trail completion slips. (Warning: We will randomly check signatures on log papers.) You may mail us at:
AFK Geocaching. PO Box 43272. Cincinnati, OH. 45243
Lodging and accommodation information is available on the event website.
- Clermont County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau
- National Park Service’s Network to Freedom program
- Ohio History Connection, (Ohio Historical Society)
- National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Brown County Ohio Travel & Tourism Bureau
- Ohio River National Freedom Corridor
- Rankin House Historical Site
- John P. Parker Historical Society
- U.S. Grant Homestead Association
- Camp Dennison Civil War Museum
- Ripley Heritage
- Historic New Richmond
A special thanks goes out to the Clermont County Convention and Visitor's Bureau whom without their main sponsorship this trail may not have happened!
Permission for this event has been granted by Clermont County Visitor and Convention Bureau and City of New Richmond.
Come with us on our journey of the Greater Cincinnati Region as we explore the life, culture, history and arts through Geocaching!
Click Here to View AFK's Geocaching.com Profile
Remember to log your WILL ATTEND if you plan to attend. Having an estimated headcount would be helpful.