In December 1867 a railway was built from Scotswood (Newcastle) to Leadgate and Consett passing up the Derwent Valley in front of the Gibside Estate. A railway station was erected near to the Turnpike and the Toll House and named "Rowlands Gill".
The railway closed for passengers in 1953 and for goods in 1962. The track was lifted in 1966 and in 1972 the trackbed became the Derwent Walk.
About Rowlands Gill Station
How the station used to look. Take time to check out the length of platform left, the filled in bridge tunnels and the old station masters house.