About Atherstone Station
The station was opened by the London and North Western Railway, and was absorbed by the London Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railwayson nationalisation in 1948.
In 1860 it was the site of a rail accident in which 10 people died.
When Sectorisation was introduced in the 1980s, the station was served by theRegional Railways Sector until the Privatisation of British Railways. There was a threat to the Livock designed station building in the early 1980s, but thanks to the efforts of local group The Railway and Steam Traction Society demolition plans were put on hold. Eventually the building was fully restored by 1985, with Donald Willets using it as offices.
The station car park is free to use and wheelchair friendly.