The Chequers Beerhouse: 31 Cotton End Road, Wilshamstead
The countywide licensing register of 1876 states that it had, by then, been licensed for over forty years.
It is known that it was not in existence at the time of the previous surviving countywide register, that of 1828, suggesting that the Chequers may have opened for the first time between 1828 and 1836.
The countywide register of 1903 states that the property was in a bad state of repair, though it was “fairly clean” and “apparently sanitary”.
The beerhouse closed for the last time on 25th March 1924.
The property comprised two parlours, a kitchen, a scullery and three bedrooms. A coachhouse was outside.
It stood next door to the post office but has since been demolished.