The "Convict Walls" on the Margate Rivulet are contentious. Some people think they were built by WWII POW'S. Some old-timers remember seeing a broken mill wheel in "Cosy Corner". Records state that in the earliest days of the North West Bay settlement, there was a saw mill from 1810-30. Logs were dragged by bullock down to The Chimneys (Dru Point) from which they were then shipped to Hobart.
In 1946, a fellow came from Hobart to go to a dance in the Margate Hall. Well kitted out in a suit, he had an excellent evening, until it was time to go home. He recalled that his mother had asked him to come home with some fruit. Times were tough, but the Channel area was well known for fruit.
A mate knew of a likely pear tree, located on the Margate rivulet, close to the dry stone walls. It was after midnight when the two young men climbed a few fences in the vicinity of Merediths Rd and raided the tree. Having no bag in which the carry the fruit, the enterprising young fellow SPLIT the lining of his suit and forced the pears inside the garment. At this point, a local farmer appeared with his shot gun. The young men bolted across the fields as the suit lining continued to tear and the fruit was strewn, haphazardly, on the path behind them. Torn suit, no fruit.