The first irrigation canals were originally built by the Three Sisters Irrigation Company. 40 miles of canals were constructed with a crew of 12-15 men with mule and horse driven scapers and shovels. The Columbia Southern Canal (named for the Columbia Southern Irrigation Company) was re-build in 1913-1915 along with new construction of the Tumalo Canal and Tumalo Reservoir as part of the Tumalo Irrigation Project. In 1915 The Tumalo reservoir failed to hold water from sinkholes. Due to the high cost of repairs the project was abandoned and the Columbia Southern Canal was never used again.
In this section of the canal the engineers took advantage of the existing canyon for a 1/2 mile stretch.
Just downstream from the canyon is the remnants of the construction camp and #1106 Columbia Stone Quarry site.
This section of the Columbia Southern Canal is documented in the Library of Congress as "Big Cut”
(see photo gallery).
References;
"History and Engineering Report of the Columbia Southern irrigation Project, Crook County” 1912
"Final Report of Construction, Tumalo Irrigation Project. to the Desert Land Board, state of Oregon June 1913 - 1914”
Library of Congress www.loc.gov/pictures/item/or0547.photos.220247p/