The Harland area is well known by local historians. The buildings located around the cache site are the remnants a World War Two radio station which was later transformed into a post-WW2 ROTOR station.
During war-time the station was used as a listening post and also to assist with VHF communications relating to the RAF airfield site at Skitten located a few miles away. The station later became chosen for the construction of a Rotor plan radar station.
In the late 1940's it was decided that the early warning air defence scheme required upgrading. The 'Rotor' plan was developed and a network of stations around Britain, equipped with the new Type 80 radars, was proposed. The station was built in 1954 but due to advances in technology, specifically the invention of the transistor, the equipment was never installed. The station had become redundant before it was even commissioned.
In the 70's Paul Ysart, a glass artist held in great esteem, setup his studio in the now vacated stand-by set house at the old station's entrance. Known for his innovative and creative works, his "Harland" period ended in 1979.
Following Ysart's departure, the radio station operations block was used to house the owners of Harland Farm and did so until the 90's. Most of the buildings were flattened in the late 90's but the section that remains, once the farmers living area, is used as a vehicle garage repair shop.
The cache can be found around the entrance area to the radio station site and is of the small traditional type with a log and room for a few small swaps.