Skip to content

This cache has been archived.

izaakwilson: Thanks for the visits. Redevelopment to follow


A Fine Pair # 279 ~ Bulwick

A cache by izaakwilson Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/06/2015
1.5 out of 5
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

5ml camo vial

Bulwick is a parish of 872 hectares, crossed by Willow Brook. In the Middle Ages it consisted of two settlements, Bulwick and Henwick, on either side of the stream, but apparently they formed a single parish. The hall, called Place House in 1677 (NRO, T(B) 265/1), was in Henwick on the W. side of the brook, but no manorial site is known on the E. side. A large part of the former village of Henwick has been engulfed by the park since the late 17th century.

From the 13th century the manor was held by the family resident at Harringworth, first de Cantelupe, then la Zouche and finally, from the early 17th century, Tryon. The manor house was apparently a subsidiary dwelling to that at Harringworth. In 1676 it was remodelled, new gardens were laid out and, from the early 18th century, it replaced Harringworth as the chief residence of the Tryons.

A charter for a fair and market was obtained in 1293 (Cal. Chart. (1257–1300), p. 432), but this seems to have been of little importance. The village had 99 families in the 1673 Hearth Tax assessment, and 92 in 1801, a high population for the area of the parish, giving about 20 acres (8.3 hectares) per family. This is reflected in the relative poverty of the village, as many as 60 per cent of families being exempt from Hearth Tax; there were at this time few houses of any size, a state which continued into the early 19th century. The parish was enclosed in 1778, but the few outlying farm-houses are 19th-century. The isolated group of houses at SP 976931 represents a settlement of at least the 18th century, and was originally extra-parochial. By 1845 a brick kiln had been established in the S. of the parish, using Lower Estuarine clays (mon. (28)).


The Fine Pair series was originally started by wizardsmum.

If anybody would like to place 'A Fine Pair' of their own please do, I would just ask that you let mattd2k know first so he can keep track of the numbers and locations to avoid duplication. He also keeps a public Bookmark List of this series so once your cache is published please contact him via his profile page to have yours added.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Nfx gur cbfgzna!

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)