Grotton railway station was opened on 5th July 1856. It was located to the west of Greenfield and Uppermill and to the east of Oldham. The line branched off at Greenfield and travelled west to Oldham, via stations at: Grasscroft, Grotton, Lees, Glodwick Rd and then onto Oldham. This cache is located near the west portal of Lydgate tunnel, which lies under the village of Lydgate and emerges at Grasscroft.
The station today is still clearly visible with most of the eastbound platform in good condition, albeit a bit overgrown and the station building is now a residential property.