Sandham Memorial Chapel is a Grade 1 listed building designed by Lionel Pearson as a memorial to the life of Lieutenant Henry Willoughby Sandham who died at the end of World War 1.
The Chapel was commissioned by his Sister and her Husband, Mary and Louis Behrend.
Discreetly loctated in the leafy Parish of Burghclere it is surrounded by Orchards and Lawns with far reaching views over Watership Down.
It was built to accommodate paintings by Stanley Spencer whose inspiration came from his own experiences during World War 1. He was influenced by Giotto's Arena Chapel murals in Padua but was unable to paint murals here due to environmental conditions. Spencer moved to Burghclere in 1926 and the paintings commissioned in 1923 were completed by 1932.
The decor remains 1920's style. The property is now owned by the National Trust.