The Priory of All Hallows was founded in the 12th century by the King of Leinster, Diarmuid McMurrough, roughly where the present day Trinity College in central Dublin now stands. This part of Baldoyle, known as 'Grange Abbey' for the past 800 years, belonged to and supported the monastery with food and provisions until the Irish Reformation. Although there is no reference to this small chapel until 1369, it can be assumed that a monastic holding would have had a place of worship. This building has been calculated to date from the 13th or 14th century.
The story goes that In 1369 the Lord Deputy of Dublin, Sir William de Windsor, short of cash, summoned a parliament in this small church, intending to introduce punitive taxes and levies on the people of Dublin and Meath. His plan was to drag the delegates all the way out here, in the depths of winter, to this cold and miserable place, with no lodgings or inns nearby, so that they would readily vote in favour of the levies in order that they could quickly return to their warm houses. This they duly did, but soon after a commission of enquiry was established by King Edward III upon complaints and a petition from the mayor and people of Dublin. The commission ultimately found in favour of the locals. De Windsor was reprimanded, and the taxes, tithes and levies enacted at the parliament were rescinded. This sitting is now remembered in history as 'the hungry parliament'.
Local legend maintains that Grange Abbey is connected to St Doulough's 2km to the north west, although there is no evidence of this. During the building of the nearby housing estate a bulldozer fell into a underground brick lined passage. Unfortunately bricks were not available at the time of either churches construction! The tunnel was quickly filled in and was never explored, so we will never know where exactly it led!
The Cache
Parking is available on Grange Abbey Road. The cache is best accessed from inside the green area. Please replace as found.