The town "Mary Kathleen" was inhabited between 1956 to 1963 when the nearby mine production ceased for a time. Then in 1974 the mine re-opened & the town thrived with a population over 2000 until 1983 when the mine was closed once more
The entire infastructure of the Mary Kathleen mine, including all of the houses went to public auction on the 11th April 1983 and the town was no more.
The house block near here was where the McBow family lived until the mine first closed. They then moved to Townsville & then Weipa before retiring back in Townsville. The family of four children all grew up here, and have very fond memories.