The caches in this trail are named after the Girlguiding World Centres and other centres around the UK. In 1940 David Davies, then Lord Davies, offered both his home and Broneirion to Gordonstoun School which needed to move from Scotland for the duration of the war. The offer was keenly accepted and many boys still return for nostalgic visits each summer. David Davies died 1944 three months before his son was killed in action in Holland. His son’s young widow, Lady Davies, was a friend of Hether Kay of Hyssington and both had a keen interest in guiding. Miss Kay had a vision of a training centre for Welsh Guides, and Lady Davies, knowing this, enthusiastically offered Broneirion. Being in the middle Wales and about the right size, situated in beautifully varied countryside, it was ideal, but in post-war Britain the cost of setting it all up was a terrific problem. They both felt strongly that the house should be a home, not an institution and to that end that it should be furnished attractively and comfortably. Hether Kay soon made the idea a living reality and gifts of furniture and soft furnishings, much of very high quality, began to arrive in the house. Every Welsh County was persuaded to adopt a bedroom and be responsible for the furnishing. Over the years this has kept the bedrooms well decorated, bright and comfortable. In 1947 the house was officially opened by the World Chief Guide, the late Lady Baden-Powell, and Welsh Guides had a base. B. Davies